What is asphalt crack repair?Crack sealing can help prevent further deterioration of your parking lot which may also help you avoid more costly repair expenses in the future.
Crack repair is often a first defense against asphalt degradation because it keeps water from entering and weakening the subgrade, and ultimately caused voids that can become potholes. Repairing cracks also helps preserve the pavement surrounding the cracks, preventing dirt from making its way inside causing further stress.
There are several types of cracks that occur in pavement.
- Reflective cracks that happen when an existing crack or joint in the underlying pavement reflects upward through the surface. These types of cracks shorten the life of any overlays or repairs on your asphalt.
- Block cracks typically form in a square pattern, with cracks intersecting each other. These types of cracks often happen in areas of low traffic since higher traffic works to keep asphalt more flexible.
- Edge cracks usually appear within 18 inches of the edge of your pavement. They’re causes by a poor base, lack of shoulder support, poor draining, and excessive frost.
- Joint cracks are creating during construction when the edges of two pavement mats are placed next to each other. These joints often have a lower density of asphalt and if they don’t bond properly, they crack.
- Slippage cracks are often moon-shaped and are caused by heavy traffic that’s stopping or turning.
- Fatigue or alligator cracks look like the skin of the beast its named for. These cracks happen as asphalt ages.
When you properly seal asphalt cracks, you may be able to double the life of your existing parking lot. Brown Brothers is here to help you do that.